Friday, June 1, 2012

Knowing Identities

I had a fancy post I had been working on for this week's Pagan Blog Project featuring the letter K. Since I have not had the time to do a quality post, I hope that this mini-rant will suffice.

Anyhow, I came across these pair of ladies calling themselves The HedgeWitch Cooks. While they have lovely recipes on their website and I look forward to viewing more cooking episodes of theirs in the future, I am slightly confused on the whole hedgewitch thing.

It looks to me that they are equating hedgewitchery with cottage, kitchen or green witchery, when they are very different things. We can probably thank Rae Beth for that. I have seen this a lot lately. Like, to the point where hedgewitch has become completely bastardized.

Seriously, flaunting around titles just because they sound nifty is bad enough, but once you start making money from it...well, to me that is the moral equivalent of lifting one's skirt, squatting and pissing on a grave. They are disrespecting a set of traditions.

To be clear, I am not a hedgewitch myself. It is not something that I have the stones for, and I probably never will. I am quite happy with my "simple" hearthcraft and green witchery. So, on that note, I will let those who practice that particular craft speak for themselves. Check out the following links for more info:

The Cottage of a Hedgewytch

What is a Hedgewitch?

Hedge Witchery

Sláinte!

Laurel

P.S. All this aside, honestly the cooking show and website are worth a look.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really like that you brought up this subject. I think sometimes it's nothing short of irresponsible to lay claim to labels like that, especially hedgewitch. The term kitchen witch is even thrown around too loosely sometimes.

I am one of those people who don't reveal much at all about my path, so seeing green witch or hedgewitch thrown around can be disquieting at times.

While I am never personally offended, I have certainly learned to give those who take that sort of approach a wide berth... and take it as a reminder to myself of what a great gift it is to be solitary and private about my own practice and path :D ;)