Sunday, October 11, 2009

Luverly of the Week: Bourbon Red Turkey


Admittedly, I never had an appreciation for turkeys until I met the better half. He used to have turkeys when he was growing up, and filled me in on their appealing qualities.

I always thought the hens were cute, it was the toms that creeped me out with their over sized snoods and caruncles {see, even the names are creepy!}. But the lady turkeys seems to love them, so who am I to judge?

This particular tom is a Bourbon Red, which is a heritage breed that harks back to the late 1800's, and was created in Pennsylvania and Kentucky.

To learn about the Bourbon Red and other heritage turkey breeds, go check out Feathersite.

Sláinte!

Laurel

1 comment:

Cammie said...

turkeys are not my idea of "luverly" in looks but are in taste!