Saturday, October 4, 2008

Heavy Petal's Tomato Recipe Challenge


Photo of Heirloom Tomatoes by mercedesoftheeighties
Heavy Petal is having a little contest over at their blog for the best tomato recipe. They will be testing all of the recipes, and their favourite will win a copy of The Heirloom Tomato Cookbook by Mimi Luebberman. The contest deadline is October 11, at midnight (PST).
It’s really hard for me to pick a favourite recipe, so I decided to just share two tomato preserve recipes that I found in my Grandmother’s recipe boxes (one of them being her own):

Green Tomato Jam

5 and ½ cups of fresh green tomatoes, cored, peeled and minced
2 cups of fresh raspberries, minced
3 and ½ cups of white sugar

Bring to a boil for about 15 minutes. Skim off foam. Place into sterilized, hot jars.

Tomato & Fruit Relish (Grandmother’s Recipe)

12 lbs of fresh tomatoes
6 medium peaches
6 medium pears
2 large onions
3 cups sugar
3 tablespoons sea salt
1 and ½ cups finely diced celery
1 quart of white or apple vinegar
2 tablespoons of pickling spices

Peel tomatoes, fruit, and onions and finely chop
Add celery and vinegar
Tie spices securely in cheesecloth or cotton bag
Add to the above while cooking
Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 1 to 1 and ½ hours
Remove from heat and remove spice bag
Pack in hot, sterilized 6 pint jars and seal

Enjoy!

Laurel

4 comments:

Heavy Petal said...

The tomato and raspberry jam sounds intriguing! What would you serve that with?

nefaeria said...

Well, some may consider my tastes odd, but I think it would be yummy on buttermilk pancakes, French toast, or with a bagel and cream cheese.

I hope you enjoy trying them!

SlĂ inte!

Laurel

Heavy Petal said...

I made this last night. Yummy! I guess I thought with the tomatoes it would be more savory, but I can definitely see this on toast, etc!

nefaeria said...

Glad to hear that you liked it :) As far as getting it more ‘savoury’, I thought that tomatillos would be interesting to try for this recipe! They have a nice ‘spicy’ flavour, but I am not sure of what the texture would be like since they are drier than tomatoes.